One of our favorite side dishes is this yellow rice recipe. It’s genuinely “extremely simple,” and it goes with virtually anything! You can serve it plain or spiced to go with a variety of cuisines.
When cooked, yellow rice is essentially white rice that has been tinted with the spices turmeric or saffron. Yellow rice is used in a variety of recipes, including Spanish, Cuban, Indian, and Indonesian cuisines. The flavor is mild enough that it can be used in a variety of recipes.
Read This Next: Nigerian fish pie recipe: Detailed guide
The ingredients you’ll need include:
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- A cup of white long-grain rice
- 1 teaspoon garlic (minced)
- One tsp onion powder or dry chopped onion 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt or to taste freshly ground black pepper
- 2-3 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Gently whisk in the rice until it begins to faintly brown.
- Stir in the garlic, onion powder, and turmeric until completely combined.
- Raise the heat to medium-high and slowly whisk in the chicken broth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce to low heat and cover with a lid. Cook for 20 to 25 minutes on low heat.
- Remove from the fire and stir in the cilantro with a fork.
Note: Peas, carrots, and corn are just a few of the vegetable mix-ins that go well with yellow rice. Along with the red peppers, firmer vegetables like carrots can be sautéed. When you add the chicken broth, toss in the softer veggies, such as peas.
We hope you try this easy yellow rice recipe with your friends and family.